And it can only be proved by the article above. It still shocks me to see such behavior. In our productions and Talk-Backs with Our production of Ripple Effect Artists’ GUARDING THE BRIDGE/SPOKEN WORD, we address how while one may argue that there is progress, there is an inherent system at play.
Some stats that we must focus on coming from the NAACP:
- In 2014, African Americans constituted 2.3 million, or 34%, of the total 6.8 million correctional population.
- African Americans are incarcerated at more than 5 times the rate of whites.
- The imprisonment rate for African American women is twice that of white women.
- Nationwide, African American children represent 32% of children who are arrested,
42% of children who are detained, and 52% of children whose cases are judicially
waived to criminal court.
- Though African Americans and Hispanics make up approximately 32% of the US
population, they comprised 56% of all incarcerated people in 2015.
- If African Americans and Hispanics were incarcerated at the same rates as whites,
prison and jail populations would decline by almost 40%.
And now let’s take a CLOSE look at the 13th ammendment:
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
This systematic and ongoing slavery has taken another form.
Steps to take:
Sign this PETITION in New York to ensure Police are required to go through a board review. Without this, the systematic racism that occurs in the Penal System continues.
Attend our phenomenal performance of Ripple Effect Artists GUARDING THE BRIDGE by visiting http://www.rippleeffectartists.com